Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cabinetry

The original house did not have built in cabinetry. There were no cupboards or shelves in the kitchen -- just an old Youngstown kitchen sink/cabinet that offered a bit of space for a few dishes and cleaning supplies. Without lower cabinets, there was no counter space adjacent to the free standing stove. There was a little walk-in pantry with a furnace pipe running through its center and a single tunnel of a closet barely 3' wide and 6' deep.

I love cabinetry. I like to be able to organize my life and love the "structure" built-in cabinetry provides. It's not just the functionality -- for me, cabinets are the foundation and the starting point for the interior style I want to create. With custom cabinetry, I can design spaces that meet our family's specific requirements.


John Condolora Installing Cabinets

To get the look and functionality I wanted, I turned to John Condolora of Acorn Woodworking in Denver. John is an amazing craftsman and worked with me to get every detail right. I would sketch and he would make samples. We reconfigured drawers and cabinets until they were just right. He supplied multiple paint samples that I put through my very own QC tests -- testing them with vinegar, hair spray, red wine and perfume to see which finish could withstand the most abuse. John researched cabinet interior storage and organization products and found solutions to every challenge I posed. I am John's biggest fan and feel fortunate to have been referred to him.

Wait till you see the finished products!!


Kitchen Base Cabinets

Living Room Base Cabinets Flanking Fireplace

Dining Area Base Cabinets Flanking Window Seat

Master Bath Base Cabinets

Art Wall Built-ins

Office Alcove Built-ins with Bookcase

No comments:

Post a Comment