Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tribute to the Wall Flower

During the design process, we were under the impression that we had to retain all the street facing windows that were original to the house. Once we had our final meeting with the Landmark Board, we realized that two additional windows on the west side of the original house also needed to be kept. Even though these windows are not street-facing and open to a narrow side yard, they are a part of the historic structure and needed to be preserved. We had already designed the interior spaces and cabinetry was to be installed along this wall. We needed a solution for the exterior.

There were several suggestions. “Why not paint the inside of the windows black?” “What about using reflective automotive film?” "How about sandwiching curtains or blinds between glass?” None of these were appealing options. We didn’t have time to commission stained glass. With the clock ticking, I decided to undertake this project myself.

I drove to Superior, Colorado to meet with Linda Ehlers of Great Glass Galore. Linda makes the most fabulous stained glass panels and offers classes as well. She agreed to give me a 10-minute primer on how to cut glass and equipped me with all the tools and supplies I would need to tackle my project. I picked out orange, yellow, pinks, greens, an iridescent neutral and blue glass – all colors that appealed to me that day and went back to Boulder to see what I could do.

I love peonies. Although they won’t grow in Arizona, I remember them from my childhood and they are commonly found in Boulder and a beautiful part of Jessica’s garden. Working in Jessica’s back yard during the day and in her garage at night, I created four panels of “wall flowers” to “sit” behind the glass of the original windows.

Laying it out on Plywood

Small Window Panel

Small West Window Installation

Large West Window Installation

No comments:

Post a Comment